Members Reader Rigs

Old 12-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
Soon2Bsprovr
Rock Crawler

Member ID: 441
View My Jeep Specs
Default Stuck in 4 wheel drive!!!

Im stuck in 4 wheel drive and can't get the tcase shifter into 2 wheel. I pulled some drunk asshole out of a snow cover ditch, damn hondas, and after that i couldn't get it out of 4x4. I drove it in reverse for about 100 feet and it still didn't help. Any ideas????

2.5" Pro Comp Lift, 1/2" SL, 1" Daystar BL, Weber 38, 33" BFG MT, Jeeperman rear bumper/Tire Carrier, Flowmaster Original 40 Series, Herculined, RJS Harnesses, Maxi Lightbar with 4 KC Daylighters, TJ flares
Future modes:
8.8, 4.0, SOA, Woody DS, AA SYE, Cage
Soon2Bsprovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
YJ Dave
GHOST

Member ID: 14
View My Jeep Specs

If you still have the D30 up front, pull the vacu shifter off and bring in inside to melt the ice out of the bellows. If you are lucky that is what is going on.

If not you have a vacuum leak.

Or do you mean that the shifter will not move?
YJ Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
kenseigle
Rock Crawler

Member ID: 697
View My Jeep Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2Bsprovr
Im stuck in 4 wheel drive and can't get the tcase shifter into 2 wheel. I pulled some drunk asshole out of a snow cover ditch, damn hondas, and after that i couldn't get it out of 4x4. I drove it in reverse for about 100 feet and it still didn't help. Any ideas????

I just happen to have my 87 wrangler up on 4 jack stands working on the vacuum set up for shifting in and out. I have the support for the trasmission transfer case off, and can see the linkage easy. If your shift stick is moving, but staying in four wheel drive, the set bolt on the linkage may need to be tightened. If the shifter will not move, either the linkage is bound up or bent, or you have some major transfer case problem. I would jack it up, put it on jack stands, take off the support pan, and see what is binding. I don't know how much pulling you did, but your transfer case may have a hernia. If you just want to disengage the front axel for now, disconnect the green hose on the shift moter and put a vacuum pump on it to disengage. You would just be bypassing the transfer case switch that you can't get to with the transfer case shifter. If you have the front end jacked up, you can tell real easy, if it is disengaged. If you do not have a vacuum gage, get about a 2 foot piece of vacuum hose and disconnect the red line that up in the firewall, that gets vacuum from the manifold, and bypass the trans case switch and connect it to where the green line goes to your shift motor on the front axle.
kenseigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
Soon2Bsprovr
Rock Crawler

Member ID: 441
View My Jeep Specs

YJDave: sorry bout that i will be more descriptive next time, the shifter wouldnt move, but i finally got fed up with it and just puched it as hard as i could with my foot and it worked. What u guys think it could be??

Kenseigle: thanks alot for ur info man it really helps, im gonna jack up the jeep and check it all out, chekc the linkage out and all, but thanks i appreicate the help.

2.5" Pro Comp Lift, 1/2" SL, 1" Daystar BL, Weber 38, 33" BFG MT, Jeeperman rear bumper/Tire Carrier, Flowmaster Original 40 Series, Herculined, RJS Harnesses, Maxi Lightbar with 4 KC Daylighters, TJ flares
Future modes:
8.8, 4.0, SOA, Woody DS, AA SYE, Cage
Soon2Bsprovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:20 AM   #5
YJ Dave
GHOST

Member ID: 14
View My Jeep Specs

Bent linkage
YJ Dave is offline   Reply With Quote